Can I just file my FBAR with my U.S. tax return?

Can I just file my FBAR with my U.S. tax return?

Technically, the FBAR is filed electronically using a completely separate e-filing system than that used for U.S. tax returns. So it needs to be efiled separately also the deadline is June 30th.

    • Related Articles

    • Does filing the FBAR have any effect on my U.S. federal income tax situation?

      No really—the FBAR is simply a disclosure form.  But if there is any earned interest or dividend on the accounts then that needs to be reported on the Tax filing on the income side.
    • Who is a “U.S. person” for FBAR purposes?

      You are a U.S. person for FBAR purposes if you are (i) a U.S. citizen, (ii) a U.S. resident, (iii) an entity (such as a corporation, partnership, or limited liability company, or (iv) a trust or estate formed under the laws of the United States.
    • Who must file the FBAR?

      You are required to file the FBAR for a calendar year if (i) you are a U.S. person and (ii) during such calendar year you had a financial interest in or signature authority over one or more foreign financial accounts with an aggregate maximum account ...
    • What information do I need to file the FBAR?

      You only need the following information for each account:  (i) the account number, (ii) the name and address of the non-U.S. financial institution where the account is maintained, and (iii) the maximum value of the account during the relevant year. ...
    • What’s a tax amendment?

      You file a tax amendment when you make changes or corrections to a filed tax return.