Live session with Abbas #Company types

Live session with Abbas #Company types

Understanding corporation types

To formalize your organization, first learn about and decide which business type is right for you:

  • C corporation. A corporation is a separate legal entity set up under state law that protects owner (shareholder) assets from creditor claims. Incorporating your business automatically makes you a regular, or “C” corporation. A C corporation (or C corp) is a separate taxpayer, with income and expenses taxed to the corporation and not owners. If corporate profits are then distributed to owners as dividends, owners must pay personal income tax on the distribution, creating “double taxation” (profits are taxed first at the corporate level and again at the personal level as dividends). Many small businesses do not opt for C corporations because of this tax feature.
  • S corporation. Once you’ve incorporated, you can elect S corporation status by filing a form with the IRS and with your state, if applicable, so that profits, losses and other tax items pass through the corporation to you and are reported on your personal tax return (the S corporation does not pay tax).
  • Limited liability company (LLC). Another business type that is formed under state law and gives you personal liability protection is the LLC. Tax-wise, an LLC is similar to an S corporation (or S corp), with business income and expenses reported on your personal tax return. If you are the only owner of an LLC, you are viewed as a “disregarded” entity. This means you report the LLC’s income and expenses on Schedule C of Form 1040─the same schedule used by sole proprietors.
    • Related Articles

    • Live session with Kiran #TAX AMENDMENT

      The IRS allows you to correct mistakes on a tax return you've already filed by filing an amended tax return.If you make a mistake on a tax return you’ve already filed, the IRS allows you to correct those mistakes by filing an amended tax return. If ...
    • Live session with Martha #Individual extension

      Need more time to prepare your federal tax return? This page provides information on how to apply for an extension of time to file. Please be aware that an extension of time to file your return does not grant you any extension of time to pay your ...
    • Live session with Brandon #IRS LETTERS

      I just got a letter (notice) from the IRS. Now what? Don't worry, we can help you find out why you got the notice and what, if anything, you need to do next. Just give us a call  Common IRS notices Here's a list of the most commonly-encountered IRS ...
    • Live session with Kiran and Nerja #itemize deduction

      When searching for ways to reduce your taxable income, itemizing your deductions can really maximize your tax savings. The benefit of itemizing is that it allows you to claim a larger deduction that the standard deduction. However, it requires you to ...
    • Types of Filing Status

      There are 5 types of filing statuses. These are: single, head of household (HOH), married filing jointly (MFJ), married filing separately (MFS), and qualifying widow/widower with dependent child (QW).